The vision of Higher Ground Nepal is to see a just and transformed society where all people can live in dignity.
We want to see lives restored, redeemed, empowered and inspired to step up to higher ground with dignity.
Higher Ground Nepal developed out of Bimala (Shrestha) Pokharel’s vision of sharing God’s love with at-risk women, youth and children in Kathmandu. By God’s grace, we have grown quickly and now employ more than 30 people, mostly women.
At Higher Ground Nepal we fight poverty. The fight begins by educating, empowering and supporting at-risk women and youth.
Through empowerment, those that have been marginalized can be transformed to walk on higher ground, live with dignity, and become leaders in their communities. We believe that if we continue to lead people to freedom in the love of Christ, they will eventually lead the way for others. Christ’s love will ripple through this country!
We pray for this ripple effect.
So how can it happen?
Higher Ground Nepal has two business branches (Higher Ground Crafts and Higher Ground Bakery-Café) and one NGO branch, Higher Ground Community Development.
This is how we operate:
- At our Crafts and Bakery-Café business branches we teach skills and give employment. We also support women and youth who choose to begin their own micro-enterprises. The businesses of Crafts and our Bakery-Café generate revenue which finances the third branch of Higher Ground Nepal: Community Development.
- Through our Community Development organization we
- advocate for the vulnerable
- promote awareness of trafficking
- give formal and non-formal training on health, parenting and life skills
- provide scholarships for at-risk youth
- give counselling to abused, trafficked and traumatized women youth and children.
- we are developing a safe-home for women and families struggling with being widowed, or transitioning out of abusive situations or exiting the sex tourism industry.
At Higher Ground Nepal, our vision is to see lives restored.
Through the love of Christ, we pray to see women, youth and children redeemed and inspired!
Inspiration can be infectious.
Will you join us in this vision, and pray with us?